Photo Credit: tarotasic
- Transforming schools have incorporated the growth mindset while sorting schools are living out the fixed mindset.
- Transforming schools welcome all students with open arms while sorting schools look to weed out challenging students through direct or indirect means.
- Transforming schools focus on student strengths, aptitudes, and interests while sorting schools focus on students deficiencies, deficits, and failings.
- Transforming schools celebrate every student for their growth, special talents, and abilities, while sorting schools celebrate only the to achieving students who meet the highest criteria.
- Transforming schools are filled with optimism especially for students who struggle the most, while sorting schools blame and criticize those students without the hope of remedy or improvement.
- Transforming schools marshal all resources and attempt every method to assist Not-Yet-Proficient students reach their goals, while sorting schools resign those students to perpetual low achievement.
- Transforming schools build relationships with families as co-teachers, while sorting schools ostracize and criticize families that don't live up their expectations.
So, what do you think?
What are other elements of transforming schools compared to sorting schools?